Plumber or electrician?

December 9th, 2003

Its seems that our Triton t80i electric shower (a popular model apparently) needs some maintenance. Now, who’d be the right person to call out to fix it? Do we get a plumber because it’s a bathroom thing that uses water? Do we call out an electrician because the water’s heated and pumped using electricity? Or, do I attempt to take the thing apart myself using this dodgy image for guidance? So many questions and so few answers…

The shower is buzzing a lot whilst in use and the pressure just isn’t what it used to be. I’m a bath man myself but Helen uses the shower everyday and I’m sure that someday soon the thing is going to conk out completely. So if you know what to do or who should do it, please let me know!


4 Responses to “Plumber or electrician?”

  1. Shay

    I think Plumber. I believe that they are now proficient in the electrical workings of showers…..

  2. Ian

    Mine already has conked out and having picked up the dodgy image I’m asking the same question. Did you have any luck? Only cold water out of mine at the moment.

  3. Guy

    Ian, I basically determined that i need a new solanoid valve. You can pick one up for around £24 but i kinda ask myself is it work it since a brand new shower costs from £60. It’s still buzzing and we’re putting up with it. Fortunately, we’re still getting hot water.

    I’d actually say that a plumber or an electrician would be equally able to fix the problem. I’d go with an electrician since they tend to be cheaper.

    Let me know how you get on.



  4. Ken


    I read with interest your problems and potential solutions. I’d sooner fix mine myself than pay someone. The problem’s odd, though. Rather than coming out the shower head, all the water through my shower comes out the little clear overflow pipe from the heater.

    Any ideas what might be up?