Fiat Punto 1.2 Mia Review
We thought we’d had problems with our Punto. But we’ve been relatively lucky to only have faulty power steering, rusty engine, knackered exhaust and terrible brake fittings. Below are 29 problems taken from the user reviews on Parker’s website. We too have experienced terrible Fiat customer service and now have a second car for long journeys – A 1997 Renault Clio! Please share your Fiat Punto horror stories with the world so that others will avoid this terrible car. Also, if you’ve actually had some good experiences with the car, in the interest of a fair trial, please let us know.
29 reasons not to buy a Fiat Punto (1999-2003)
- Seems to scratch easily.
- New 5th gear fitted at 25,000 miles.
- Wipers and cat faulty.
- problems with wipers, coolant, cat, gearbox and dashboard replaced.
- Looks good but falls apart all too easily.
- Returned for numerous faults which were never rectified beyond driving
the car off the forecourt.
- Mystery cold-start problem were quickly rectified by dealer.
- New rear suspension and new sump gasket. Far too much time spent at Fiat
garage for a new car.
- Rear suspension faulty from new – constant knocking. Took five visits to
Fiat dealer before it was fixed.
- Rust under front grill.
- Terrible customer services. Nice car, but can’t rely on Fiat UK.
- Gear linkage gears ropey.
- Rust around engine mountings. Dashboard dropping to bits.
- Cylinder head crack/piston wear – not covered by warranty!!
- 2nd gear notchy – jumps out.
- 2 sets front brake discs and pads/rear shocks – 25,000 miles only!!
- Bearings and differentials gone completely.
- Clutch replaced twice.
- Water ingress, rattling trim and de-misting.
- Oil leaks, camshaft problems and persistent noise when idling.
- Moisture in headlights.
- Oil doesn’t Circulate well when cold, hence knocking kind of noise – fine
- Very rough. First gear has to be forced in half the time.
- Indicator switches its self off.
- Loads of electrical faults.
- Appalling handling. The worst of any supermini. No steering feedback.
- Engine pinking. 3 dealerships were absolutely inept.
- Steering, poor finish, no interest from supplying dealer or Fiat. Once
bitten, as they say
- They never replied to my letters – it"s been about 7 weeks now.
Now over to you for your horror stories…